All times are UTC

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2014, 00:31 
Site Admin

Hello there!

Today i want to show you step by step how to make and host a Will Rock dedicated game server. :ugeek:
There are some steps to do in order to proceed, so please read this carefully:

1) Hardware and software requirements:
To run a dedicated server, a full copy of the game is necessary. Thats because the dedicated server is built-in with the game. Make sure you have a full working copy of the game, with the latest patch (v1.2) installed.The minimum hardware and software requirements are:

- CPU: Intel Pentium 4 @ 1.4 GHz or Athlon 1700 XP+ or higher
- RAM: 512 MB or higher
- Video card: 64 MB video card such as Geforce 3 or amd/ATI Radeon or higher
- Sound card: Windows DirectX 9 compatible
- DirectX: DirectX 9 Required
- HD: at least 1GB of free hard drive space
- And most importantly, a very fast internet connection.

Do NOT create a Willrock server with a wireless connection.
All the other players will may be suffer for the high latency you're causing to them. Trust me. If you dont have those requirements, then please find someone else who can handle this thing.

2) Editing and configuring the "willrock.ini" file
Once you have the game installed and updated, you have to open and edit the "willrock.ini" file. This file needs to be edited (You can edit it with Notepad or Notepad++, or any text editor you actually have). The default path of this file should be like this one:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubi Soft\Saber Interactive\Will Rock\bin\willrock.ini

Once you have it opened with a text editor (Notepad++ is recommended) go to the [Multiplayer] Line, you should have something lke this:
Code:
[Multiplayer]
Mode=Single
ServerIP=192.168.1.37
ServerPort=7780
PlayerName=WillRock
ServerName=WillRockServer
DemoPlay=No
DemoRecord=No
DemoFile=..\scenes\demo_outdoor.sdf
NmbSnapShots=30
PlayerName_LAN=WillRock
PlayerSkin=0
ServerLocation=lev_mpdm_1_rotunda
ServerMode=DM
ServerMaxPlayers=4
Difficulty=1
ServerAllowHealth=1
ServerPlrGODAfterDeath =1.000000
ServerPlrIsFriendlyFire =1
ServerPlrIsUnlimitAmmo=0
ServerItemOnPick =keep
ServerAllowArmor=1
ServerLocation_DM=lev_mpdm_1_rotunda
ServerTimeLimit=0.000000
ServerFragLimit=30
ServerLocation_COOP=lev_4_1_stonemine
ServerLocation_TREASHUNT=lev_mpdm_6_towers
PlayerName_UBI=willrock
PlayerPassword_UBI=
ServerUseLadder=No

As you can see, there are some wrong lines and they need to be changed.
Let's start to make edits from top to bottom, step by step:
Code:
Mode=Single

I have literally NO idea about this. Just leave it as is.

Code:
ServerIP=192.168.1.37

Dont Ask me why there is this local IP address (Maybe it was used by the developers while testing the game on their LAN network?) but needs to be changed. Instead of "192.168.1.37", you have to insert the local IP address of your dedicated server, you can find it by press "Windows Logo" + "R" like in this picture:
Attachment:
keyshortcut.png
keyshortcut.png [ 28.16 KiB | Viewed 2102 times ]

type: cmd
Attachment:
run-cmd.png
run-cmd.png [ 9.13 KiB | Viewed 2102 times ]

...and in the command prompt type: ipconfig
Attachment:
ipconfig.png
ipconfig.png [ 8.3 KiB | Viewed 2102 times ]

And then you can see the IP Address assigned on your machine. On this example the IP is "192.168.1.19", but you have to use yours, so put it into the willrock.ini and save it.

Code:
ServerPort=7780

Assuming this is correct and there are no other changes, the default port used in Will Rock is 7780. If you want to change it, feel free to do it, but please keep in mind you have to create rules on your modem/router before proceed, A.K.A. Port forwarding. Here's a quote taked from the wikipedia page:

Quote:
Port forwarding allows remote computers (for example, computers on the Internet) to connect to a specific computer or service within a private local-area network (LAN).

In a typical residential network, nodes obtain Internet access through a DSL or cable modem connected to a router or network address translator (NAT/NAPT). Hosts on the private network are connected to an Ethernet switch or communicate via a wireless LAN. The NAT device's external interface is configured with a public IP address. The computers behind the router, on the other hand, are invisible to hosts on the Internet as they each communicate only with a private IP address.

When configuring port forwarding, the network administrator sets aside one port number on the gateway for the exclusive use of communicating with a service in the private network, located on a specific host. External hosts must know this port number and the address of the gateway to communicate with the network-internal service. Often, the port numbers of well-known Internet services, such as port number 80 for web services (HTTP), are used in port forwarding, so that common Internet services may be implemented on hosts within private networks.

The port forwarding is a necessary step which basically apply some specific rules on your modem/router in order to allow access from external hosts (Other will rock players) into your dedicated server. Since everyone have different modem/routers (so different control panel to create those rules), i highly recommend to follow those steps on portfoward.com. Just select from the list your modem/router model, then select the Game (obviously select Will Rock from the list) and follow the steps from portforward.com. Once you opened the port no. 7780 on your modem/router, you can proceed with this guide. If you want to learn more about port fowarding, you can find this guide quite useful, or have a look on the wikipedia page. People who want to connect to your server must type the port number after the IP address. For example, they have to type: 12.34.56.78 with 7780 at the end, like: 12.34.56.78:7780, otherwise they cannot connect. They will have to type into the game the ip and port like in this example:
Code:
ServerName=WillRockServer

Well, change it. This server name will display when people are searching in the server list into the game. Use appropriate and indicative names such as "John's Deathmatch Mania!" or "Luke's Cooperative server". Use common sense!

Code:
DemoPlay=No
DemoRecord=No
DemoFile=..\scenes\demo_outdoor.sdf
NmbSnapShots=30
PlayerName_LAN=WillRock
PlayerSkin=0
ServerLocation=lev_1_1_outdoor

Just leave these settings as is.

Code:
ServerMode=DM

This is the game mode you can change into:
- "DM" means Deathmatch mode
- "COOP" the server will be changed in cooperative mode
- "TH" If you want the Treasure Hunter mode

Code:
ServerMaxPlayers=6

This one indicate the maximum allowed players. It can be changed from 2 to 6.

Code:
Difficulty=1

This one is the game difficulty. You can change it into:
- "0" Easy
- "1" Normal
- "2" Hard

Code:
ServerAllowHealth=1

Allow spawning Health item into the game. I think its a necessary thing! Leave it to 1! (0 if you want to remove them)

Code:
ServerPlrGODAfterDeath=1.000000

Seconds of invulnerability after the respawn, i suggest set it to 3 or 5. (And yes, i also reccomend to remove the space between "Death" and "=").

Code:
ServerPlrIsFriendlyFire=0

Enable/Disable the friendly fire.
0 = OFF (Other players cannot damage you)
1 = ON (Other players can damage you accidentally)
Note: you can see in-game the red circle of the blood/pain if someone else is shooting at you, even with the friendly fire disabled, but you dont get damage, this is probably a HUD bug!

Code:
ServerPlrIsUnlimitAmmo=0

Set the unlimited ammo. Not recommended in both game modes, may be ruin the fun of the game.
0 = Ammo on
1 = Infinite ammo

Code:
ServerItemOnPick=keep

This setting is used if you want to make all the items avaiable and pickable for all players in coop mode (no greedy players). I recommend to leave it as "keep".

Code:
ServerAllowArmor=1

Similar setting to the "ServerAllowHealth=1", Allow spawning Armor item into the game. I think its a necessary thing! Leave it to 1! (0 if you want to remove them)

Code:
ServerLocation_DM=lev_mpdm_1_rotunda

Do not change this setting, you have to change it in-game, on a second moment.

Code:
ServerTimeLimit=0.000000

Time limit between map changes. If set 0, there is no time limit.

Code:
ServerFragLimit=30

Frag limit. Used in Deathmatch mode, the best settings should be between 20 and 30 frags.

Code:
ServerLocation_COOP=lev_1_1_outdoor
ServerLocation_TREASHUNT=lev_mpdm_6_towers
PlayerName_UBI=willrock
PlayerPassword_UBI=
ServerUseLadder=No
ServerUseLadderPatch=No
ServerAutoBalanceTeam=0

Last settings just leave them as is, no changes.
After finished changing all your settings, save the willrock.ini file.

3) Creating the shortcut:
Another step is creating a particular shortcut on your desktop of your dedicated server. Right click on the desktop and select New > Shortcut:
Attachment:
create_shortcut.jpg
create_shortcut.jpg [ 26.56 KiB | Viewed 2102 times ]

Then, type in the path of your Willrock.exe file (Usually is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubi Soft\Saber Interactive\Will Rock\bin\WillRock.exe") with the "-dedicated" parameter after the path, like in this picture below:
Attachment:
CreateShortcut.png
CreateShortcut.png [ 58.25 KiB | Viewed 2102 times ]

Once you made the shortcut, run the game via the newly shortcut, and the menu should be like this:

This is the Will Rock dedicated server menu. Its a little different from the standard Will Rock menu, as you can see. Just click on multyplayer.

Here you have to Select "Create LAN/I-Net Game", then change other game settings such as map, friendly fire, game mode and so on.

Since this is a dedicated server, players on the server side cannot join, so changing the name and character at this point is useless. Select < DSL > as main connection type.

If you want to start the cooperative mode from the Beginning, you have to select As Location "Knossos Palace" and for the Sub-level: 1

If you have reach this point, and see the black screen with Statistisc (Hold TAB), your dedicated server should be up and running, waiting for other players to join... Congratulations! You have successfully made a Will Rock dedicated server!

4) Find out your external IP address:
The last thing to do is giving to the other players the IP address and port of your server (or leaving the Server info on the Server section of this forum, suggested). If you don't know your IP address, you can find out at whatismyipaddress.com

Extra notes that you should know:
  • You can have only one dedicated server at once. That means you can't have more Will Rock servers on the same machine.
  • You cannot play the game if dedicated server is up and running on the same machine.
  • There is no way to host a dedicated server with version v1.0 or v1.1. You need to update the game at v1.2. You can find the latest patch in the downloads section of our forum.
  • You should keep most of internet applications (such as Skype or Steam) closed, for better multyplayer experience.
  • You can keep the willrock server in icon if you want, by pressing ALT+TAB, the server keeps running.
  • If you want to know how many players are actually connected, you can see the players list by holding Image on the keyboard.
  • There is no console commands about start/stop/restart a server or players managment. If you want to stop and change the map, you have to complete close the game, edit your settings and restart the server.
  • You can't type to other players from the server and you can't see the chat history for reading previous messages.
  • As mentioned in the hardware/software requirements, a dedicated video card is required in order to run a dedicated server. Please refer this article for more info.
  • If your ISP gives you dynamic IP address, your IP may change sometimes, check your external IP at least once a week while hosting a server by using whatismyipaddress.com
  • Typing the port number after the IP address is necessary. For example, you have to type: 12.34.56.78 with 7780 at the end, 12.34.56.78:7780
  • Test your server before publish it, make sure it is reachable from external hosts, ask your friends to join into your new server to see if it works.
  • If you need the executable working without asking the CD for your dedicated server, you can try by replacing the Willrock.exe with this one:
Attachment:
Will Rock v1.2 [ENGLISH] Fixed EXE.zip [1.08 MiB]
Downloaded 159 times

Make sure to make a backup copy of your Willrock.exe before replace!

That's it. I hope i've helped someone else with this guide, if you need any question, please post a reply, thanks!

Peace. 8-)

Post subject: Re: Hello
PostPosted: 06 Mar 2014, 10:16 

Hello my name is chris, I'm first time here - so i'm sorry if I make a mistake, I'll love to join or host a game(a coop one) - Will Rock. I have 1.2 patch installed- Gigabyte version and it all works ok. I have done some hosting tests on LAN between my pc's.Hosting a dedicated server gives me a black monitor so I prefer to host the simple version because I want to play too when I'm hosting. I've read the Guides section about hosting a dedicated server and I've edited my willrock.ini according to those.I'm also on Hamachi - chris is my name there too.Will Rock is a great game but can't find players or servers even on hamachi :(

Last edited by chris on 13 Jan 2015, 12:59, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Hello
PostPosted: 06 Mar 2014, 15:55 
Site Admin

chris wrote:
Hello my nickname is chris, I'm first time here - so i'm sorry if I make a mistake, I'll love to join or host a game(a coop one) - Will Rock. I have 1.2 patch installed- Gigabyte version and it all works ok. I have done some hosting tests on LAN between my pc's.Hosting a dedicated server gives me a black monitor so I prefer to host the simple version because I want to play too when I'm hosting. I've read the Guides section about hosting a dedicated server and I've edited my willrock.ini according to those.I'm also on Hamachi - chris is my name there too.Will Rock is a great game but can't find players or servers even on hamachi :(

Hi chris and welcome! i hope you have found one of my guides useful.....as mentioned on that topic, if someone make a dedicated server, cannot play at the same time....need a dedicated machine in order to play.....if we found somone who maybe have multiple PC, we can have our dedicated server and start playing on that :P Just keep an eye on this forum weekly, maybe someone else may join :ugeek: